Saturday

A Significance of Dishes

The dishes sit in the dishwasher, clean and waiting.
Others stew clumsily in the sink, stinky and impatient.
I notice and I pretend it's not happening.
But I know they wait for me and me alone.

Today I must unload the clean ones, without the anger.
For they no longer represent a promise you failed to keep.
They are just dishes, clean and waiting.
And the job is now mine alone.

And that, that is because you never truly made me that other promise.
The big one.
The one I labored to be worthy of.
Never realizing the futility of my efforts.
Like fretting about dishes...and windows...and floors.

This morning I will unload the clean ones, without the anger this time.
My sadness will wash over me like rinse water
As I seek to bring order and safety to my world.
As I look forward to the domestic comfort of the machine's swish swish.
As I leave the chore behind,
And go on with my life

No comments: